NP Photography Club

Np Photography Club Forum

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ciel
FRESHIES undies ...
FRESHIES undies ...

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:30 pm

I heard Local is all 3.5 and above.
What abt overseas? New york? London? Different schools different?
So what if i fall below 3.5 in the end? Any other ways and means to get there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
togusa
SELF CLEANING(WTF) undies
SELF CLEANING(WTF) undies

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:55 pm

it can be harder to get in to a uni outside sg with less than 3.5 but it is possible... i know that 3.2 still can get in to local uni...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pak Wing
MAN WITH THE INCREDIBLE UNDERWEAR
MAN WITH THE INCREDIBLE UNDERWEAR

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:33 am

For GPA below 3.5... there is always the interview, you can also take the admission tests, or in the worst case, work for a year then try again. (Local)

For overseas, it varies between universities...but it would be good to make sure that it is a recognised university before trying to get in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
enchantedream
USED undies
USED undies

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:51 am

for overseas you also can take the admission test when your gpa is 3.5 and below. or at most go there study one year of college then go uni..my friend did that she went into monash uni but before that she went to taylors college for a year first...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sman
USED undies
USED undies

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Hmmm even local uni 3.5 is still not really a safe gpa, for local try to get as high as you can cos competition is pretty tough. I do know of many 3.8-3.9ers who still can't get admission into local uni (NUS). Perhaps NTU is more flexible in terms of poly admission compared to NUS.

Overseas varies alot, but 3.5 definitely possible to enter, maybe just 1 year exemption? some of my friends who got 3.2+ managed to get 2 years exemptions in a 3 year course. Then again, still depends which course!

I believe they're more than happy to take you in cos we're paying FULL tuition fee as compared to the locals over there. So 3.5 shouldn't be a problem Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pixelpeep.blogspot.com
iRaphael
FRESHIES undies ...
FRESHIES undies ...

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 am

you can always beef up the portfolio based on the course you do.

like work for a company which is in the same field as the course you wanna do.

also you can do things like SATs, IQ tests, personality tests if you wanna go through the interviews.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ciel
FRESHIES undies ...
FRESHIES undies ...

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:34 am

Thanks for the replies ppl.
As I'm doing mass comm it really isnt that easy to get 3.5 since alot of subjects are project based...or rather MOST of us are still way below 3.5, hope the next year internship program will pull up some pts. Arrow
As for the portfolio, i do have some working experience here n there and some works to show. But i'm afraid it would only be supplementary bt not a main point for their consideration of admission.
And omg the tuition fee...ToT faintz...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iRaphael
FRESHIES undies ...
FRESHIES undies ...

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:22 am

for mass comm, it would be different. if your gpa is 3.5, you would be on the director's list already. haha

but for mass comm, what you can do is to try to get your gpa around 3.3 or higher (?) or even choose to work with the college coming to NP next year.

and it depends what you intend to specialize in the third year also, if its like advertising, you could always print them out and stuff and submit some for design competitions, etc.

hope that helps. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Queenjacq
FRESHIES undies ...
FRESHIES undies ...

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-11

PostSubject: not just on GPA for local.   Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:07 pm

actually, going to local uni needs a U-SCORE which comprises 20% of your O'Levels results (English, Maths, Science and 2 best) and 80% of your GPA.

my lecturer told me, there is a case where by a student, GPA of 3.8 CANNOT get into uni. they didnt even consider her as her english for O's is not good (B4). your o's eng must be reasonable, higher than B4 better.

SMU everyone needs to go for interview no matter what. NTU they will pick borderline cases for interview. NUS is the most strict. they dun give exemptions and they only pick HIGH gpa. my friend went for the NUS trip last week and they say a mimimun of 3.8-3.9.

for overseas uni, they stricly look at GPA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tadahbalah.blogspot.com
Ciel
FRESHIES undies ...
FRESHIES undies ...

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:33 pm

ToT Thanks Rapheal... tt does help to make me feel better ..3,3 and above...
Jaq: my O level is good, L1R4 with bonus is 3. bt since i came to NP i was too distracted by my outside involvements and jobs, my GPA has never went higher than 2.7...dies...this is like far far away from 3.5. So what i'm doing now is quitting my job outside to just concentrate on my studies, and hopefully my IAP, with my past working experience's help, will pull me up a great deal...hope so man..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?   

Back to top Go down

What Kinda GPA's needed for local and overseas Uni?
Page 1 of 1